Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Weekly progress, let's talk PTD 2 and ANPO!

Want to get the legendary dogs? Shiny Mew? or any other shiny pokemon in the game? Adopt them today using SnD coins! Click here for more info.

Visit the PTD: Pokemon Center - a place to trade pokemon, get your Daily Code, adopt Pokemon, view your items and change your avatar! 


v6.0.1 is out! We are getting close to the end of PTD 1 Story Mode! To put things into perspective here is what is left to do:
  • Two more gym then we head to the elite 4 and face off with Mewthree and his mind slaves.
  • 8 New moves need to be added for all the pokemon to have their level up moves.
  • 6 Pokemon that you can't catch yet in the game: Electabuzz, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo and Mew.
In the game right now we have:
  • 32 Story Levels - 6 gym badges
  • 400+ different moves
  • 145 pokemon that you can catch
That is how close we are! Now keep in mind that there are over 600+ moves in all 5 generations combined so there isn't much left to add move wise if I were to make the sequels. Now you might be wondering things like when is the sequel coming out? or is anpo going to be made?, or just what the heck is this anpo thing? Well I've got answers!

To be honest the sequel hasn't been started yet, starting this week I will post some progress for PTD 2 along with discussions about the changes that I want for the game and also adding polls for you guys to decide some things too. But before I get into that let's talk about what is coming this week for PTD 1.

If you have beaten the Cinnabar Island level you will know that the Gym battle against Blaine is next! Just like other Gym battles you can expect a challenge and some unique twist that will hopefully match the theme of the gym and his pokemon. How this gym will play out is something I will figure out during this week and by the weekend we will have a new story level!

Other than the story level, I will include more TMs that are not yet implemented in the game along with any small bug fixes here and there that I can find.

For PTD 2 I will take a lot of the same code from PTD 1 so it won't take 5 months to build like PTD 1 originally did but I will be making a lot of changes. A good number of them come from request that you guys have made! So the first thing to do in PTD 2 is something that many of you have requested or indirectly requested and that is a PRELOADER! Yes! Finally! I know... PTD 2 progress will be slow and steady but I will share a small list of a few changes and ideas I have for PTD 2:
  • Preloader! (No more "all I see is a white square" emails!)
  • Faster logging in - The game will only initially load your current party only to speed up logging in. The rest of your pokemon will now be accessed on a different screen and that will load the rest of your pokemon by boxes.
  • Box system - Similar to how the game is you will store and load pokemon by boxes and you can sort by box rather than having a long list of pokemon to handle.
  • Buff and Debuffs stay on - When you move your pokemon from one spot to another it will no longer lose any of it's buffs or debuffs or statuses.
  • Buffs and Debuffs Stack and stay on forever - Just like the game debuffs and buffs will now stack up to 6 times and they will last until removed or the pokemon faints.
  • Day and Night levels - I'm not sure exactly how I will handle this, there are two options to pull this off.
    • One is having two levels for each area, one during the day and one at night.
    • Two is having a global clock for when you play and the levels adjust to that clock.
      • While you play a level the time would be changing and it would get darker.
      • The time would not be in real time, a whole day might pass in 30 minutes.
      • This is not based on time zones but the time that you spend in the game.
    I put a poll up so I can see what you guys think about it!
  • Genders and Breeding - Pokemon will now have genders and you can breed pokemon using similar rules to the real game. The breeding part will probably be in the pokemon center, but hatching the eggs will most likely be in the game itself. You would put the egg on a spot, some eggs require more time on a spot to hatch than others.
  • The Power of Badges - Something that I missed for PTD 1 which is your pokemon will only obey you if you have the proper badge, otherwise they will fall asleep. (This would only apply to traded pokemon)
  • Transferring your old Pokemon from PTD 1 to PTD 2 - I'm still not 100% sure at what point in the game I will allow for trading your pokemon, but what I'm thinking is that you need to get to a certain point in the game before this is allowed. Also the "power of the badges" point prevents people from just bringing level 100 pokemon and beating the game easily.
  • Holding items - Your pokemon will be able to hold berries and different items that will enable them to use them in levels just like the real game.
  • Improved Trading Center - The trading center works right now but a lot of things are very tedious to do. Especially if you are trading a lot of pokemon. The plan is to continue to update the trading center to make it more user friendly and streamlined.
  • Improved Multiplayer - Multiplayer right now is slacking, this is something that I want to improve drastically in the sequel.
This is but a small preview of the improvements I have in mind for the sequel. Now let's talk about Creatures Online Universe aka Project ANPO.

As many of you might know the reason I started programming to begin with was so I could make an online creature game. The world of pokemon was something that I thought was great and it really inspired me to learn programming and find ways to create games. 10 years later here we are and I'm getting closer and closer to finally being able to make this game. Now pokemon is a fine game as it is now but there are a lot of things that I think could be improved. I think they focused a lot of the battling and balancing out the different pokemon for battle and that's is great but the real reason I like pokemon is for discovering the pokemon and I loved watching the show because I could see almost how these pokemon lived in their habitats and how they interacted with each other (something that the show got away from in the later seasons) So the game I want to make is more about that. About going out and exploring and finding new creatures. Rather than just focusing everything on battling. I like battling but when a diglett can use Aerial Ace then it ruins the illusion for me. I liked it when each creature had it's own unique move or something to make them stand out. Details like these are the kinds of things I'm aiming for this game. Does this sound like something you would want to play?

Now you might be wondering what about Hero Tower Defense!? Well Hero Tower Defense has really great art and really great art requires time and motivation is part of the artist. We recently got another artist for HTD that will be working part time so that will help a bit. Once PTD 1 is finished I will spend more time working on HTD while working on PTD 2 and some ANPO on the side. I think a lot of you will want me to work less on HTD but HTD is something that will help us grow and since it's original we can take it to the mobile devices and not worry about it getting shut down.

PTD First Look by GraphicForce - Check it out now!

Okay so here is the progress list for this week:

PTD 1

Mystery Gift (100%) - Shadow Lickitung
Picking who to trade my pokemon to (0%)
Putting new pokemon up for trade (0%) - My trade account is samO
Story Level (100%)
  • Intro (100%)
  • Layout (100%)
  • Waves (100%)
  • Ending (100%)
New TMs (100%) - Rock Slide, Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball, Charge Beam and Toxic
Bug Fixes (100%)
  • Final Gambit doesn't faint your pokemon after using it (100%) 
  • Fixed a bug that was making Final Gambit hit the target for twice the user's total damage (100%)

PTD 2

Preloader (100%)
Title Intro (100%) - Thanks Joel for making this for me!
Setting up the graphics for the preloader


HTD

Skill Selection Screen (100%)
Bug Fixes (100%)

As always let me know what you think! Sam out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment